Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bee Stings and Stitches again!

Yesterday started okay, but didn't stay that way for long. I woke the kids up and Finn proceeded to get dressed, but Quincy sat on the couch, refusing milk (unusual for the kid who drinks milk 5 times a day). A little while later he complained that he had to throw up, but didn't. I left to take Finn to the bus and went on my walk (trying to go get some ME time before anyone notices I am missing). When I returned, Alvin informed me that Quincy needed to go to the doctor because he was feverish and his hand was the significantly swollen.
Let me break for a minute and tell you what I haven't blogged about. In Denver, Alvin was digging a trench and dug into a wasp nest (underground) and was stung multiple times...like 25! Finn got stung too. A few days later, while working in the same area, he was stung a few times again. When we returned, he was working at my parents and disturbed a yellowjacket nest (under some plants and he didn't know about it) and was stung again, multiple times. The boys got a few stings here and there, but nothing major. Then Alvin was helping my dad with his honey bees and insisting that he was going to get stung (should have thought positively) and sure enough, he got stung on the forearm. The next day his arm was throbbing and swollen and a trip to the Doctor means Alvin now has a bee allergy. Saturday, I was inside canning and my parents and Alvin were out working on our yard when my mom moved some branches and found ANOTHER yellow jacket nest. Paxton and Quincy were both stung at least 5 times.
Back to my story...

Quincy had been stung on the hand and that was the cause of the swelling, but another sting on his stomach was swollen and feverish. I decided early that morning, that I needed to switch pediatricians. I love our doctor, but a 30 minutes drive was more than I could handle and would likely mean missing school, but I had baked cookies to celebrate Quincys birthday and HE WAS NOT GOING TO MISS SCHOOL. Luckily there is a branch of the clinic locally and they could get us in by 9:15. Ah, my day is going back to easy!

Dr. tells me that it's just an infection and infections in the hand spread very quickly and he needs benedryl and antibiotics. We rush to the pharmacy and that script isn't ready. Pick up a few groceries and it still isn't ready, so Quincy picks out a balloon because he was so good at the doctor, but school is going to start. I go home, make the boys lunch and the 3 of us go to Quincys school. After lunch and celebrating with cookies, Pax and I left and went to get stuff for dinner and Quincy's medicine. Come home, get Quincy off the bus and I hear Quincy telling Paxton that the doctor is really nice and if you go see him, you can get a pirate balloon. Finn gets home a few minutes later and I laid down on my bed while talking to my mom and telling her how exhausting my day had been...when Finn starts yelling! Paxton has hit his head on the corner of the kitchen counter. It's bleeding like head wounds do, but when I looked at it, I had to call my mom back and ask her to come over. We conclude that although the bleeding has stopped, he is going to need stitches. We did wait an hour and 45 minutes, because the local doctors office couldn't squeeze us in for ANOTHER appointment and their urgent care opened at 5:00 (local people, did you know there is an urgent care here now?--opened last week). The doctor confirmed the worst, that we had no other option, since you could see the skull and Pax was terrified. He was a trooper, played on my phone and only cried during the anesthetic shots. By 7:00 we left with 5 stitches and Paxton was the very first person to use the brand new procedure room there!

And it was only after we got the kids in bed, that I realized I had 3 kids coming over in the morning for the twins "birthday party"/ normal tuesday playdate with balloons. Fortunately, today was much better and I haven't had to take anyone to the doctor...YET! Although Finn suggested that I take him in because he had a stuffed up nose and he really wanted a pirate balloon.

3 comments:

  1. OH Erika....you will be so blessed in the next life!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not envy you. Not at all. Well, not in this case. ;) Hope things only look up for y'all, cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrible!! Shane has a bee allergy too. We are supposed to keep an Epipen with him at all times. I'm so sorry for all of the boys!!! Cool that you got to see his skull though! What an exhausting day!!!

    ReplyDelete