Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Here's the "recipe"

I would love to share my lasagne recipe with you, except there is no recipe...I throw stuff in the pot. But, for you, I will tell you what I threw in the pot and kind of how I did it.

Brown a pound of ground beef (italian sausage too if you have it) with a chopped onion. When it's done, add about 8 cloves crushed garlic, 2-3 stalks chopped celery, a green pepper, a red pepper, a package of sliced mushrooms, a zucchini (grated if you don't want the kids to pick it out) and maybe some grated carrots. I do this in my dutch oven and if you don't have one, ask for one for christmas...and you can bake bread in it too. Then you stir it, (theres some techinical term for it, I am sure) until the vegetables are sufficiently wilted, add a generous splash of balsamic vinegar . Then add 2 large cans of tomato sauce (I used frozen sauce made from the tomatoes in our garden) and at least one can, but maybe 2 of tomatoes (I have been using the crushed ones lately, because Finn complains about the chunks of tomato). You bring this up to a boil, toss in some italian seasonings...basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper. Turn the heat to low, put the lid on it and stir every couple minutes for about 4 hours. If I would have had time, I might have cooked this in the crockpot, on low over night. Taste it, and if it needs it, season more.

Then take 2 pints of ricotta cheese and mix with 2 eggs and a big handful of parsley.

Then put a cup of sauce on the bottom of your pan, a layer of noodles (no boil are okay, but I prefer the way the boiled ones turn out), a big helping of sauce, a portion of the ricotta cheese, a handful of grated mozzerella, and repeat until your pan is almost full...then top with tons of cheese, parmesan cheese, and some more flaked parsley. Cover with foil and Bake at about 375 for an hour or more. Uncover and cook until cheese browns. Oh, I sprayed my foil with pam and it didn't take all the cheese off with it.

So how much does this make...I would guess about 2 9x13 pans, but I wanted it thick, so I used a smaller, deeper casserole and it made 2 of those. You make less, or make one pan of lasagne and save the rest of the sauce for spaghetti, or spaghetti pie (now you want to know how to do that...mix the same ricotta mix with about a pound of cooked spaghetti , put at the bottom of the pan, layer the sauce on top, sprinkle generously with cheese and bake until bubbly...tastes just like lasagne, only so much easier). Sauce freezes great.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! Thanks for sharing! I've been trying to get more veggies into my kids. This should work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Still, it's awesome! I knew you cooked this way so I was wondering if you had a recipe or you just throw it together. Love it!

    ReplyDelete