Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Morbid subject...death wishes

While arranging a playdate yesterday, the other mother told me that her mother in law had past away this weekend, and funeral plans weren't going the way she suspected her mother in law would want them to go. However, this brought her to a discussion with her husband about what to do in the event she/he died. It got me thinking...

And if I tell you all, you will know...and there might be less confusion.

I want one of these biodegradable caskets...

Of course, I want more flowers than pictured here...tons more. I don't want to be embalmed (which is possible in Washington state) and wrapped in a cotton shroud. (if money is an issue, I am fine with a brown cardboard box, but still with tons of flowers) And no viewing please!!!

For a while I considered cremation, but I don't think it's for me...not very green; at least this way, I can really fertilize a tree. Here's an interesting article about it... http://www.greendaily.com/2008/01/11/green-deathmatch-burial-vs-cremation/

Alvin and I don't have a will (shame on us!) but we both know that we want my parents to finish raising our kids, should something happen.

Now I have to find out what my husband wants.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm morbid, too, but I love that casket. I had no idea there was such a thing. The modern, decorative, whatever-they're-made-of caskets are just not my style. I was thinking a pine box, but now that I've seen this one, that's the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a morbid subject at all! I was just talking with Jared about it the other day. It's scary to think about but entirely possible so it's always good to be prepared. p.s. that casket looks a lot less morbid than the "gauddy" fancy looking ones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's morbid to discuss what you would like done with your remains. I used to want to be cremated, but changed my mind when Dan protested. He wants to have a wake, thinks I should have one . . . etc. etc. I agree to a wake and the funeral etc., but CLOSED CASKET. He agrees. They can do whatever they want, but don't open the lid. No one needs to look at my dumb ass dead. Immediate family members can hold a private viewing if they care to. I want a wood casket the monks make. It's also biodegradable and earth friendly. I hope I don't have to be embalmed - it should be a person's choice - that crap can't be good for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - it's written here for all the world to see! We don't have a will either. I don't want a viewing - too creepy! I didn't know that they make biodegradable caskets - I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete