Monday, June 15, 2009

Tillamook Cheese!

A few months ago, my parents brought us home some Horseradish Cheddar cheese from Oregon and since then we have searched all over for this cheese. We tried special ordering it at the local market and considered ordering some online. Instead we took the long way home from the wedding, and drove over to the coast so we could stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory.

I've never heard of this as a school mascot before...is that brave, strong, fearless, or stinky? The boys loved sticking their faces in here, but I don't think they had a clue what they were doing.
We watched as they packaged up some sort of white cheese with spots (pepper jack, black pepper white cheddar...)
The blocks behind Finn were aged and weighed about 38 pounds. They were put through a cutter (the guy just to the left of Finn) then weighed and packaged into 5 pound, 1 pound, or 8 ounce cubes.
We spent over $100 in the store and came home with cloe to a ton of cheese, including 2 5 pound blocks of the delicious horseradish cheddar, some 3 year aged white cheddar and end cuts of smoked black pepper cheddar and garlic white cheddar. I came home with a lot of ideas (remember I learned to make cheese).
Sol and Sabine are spending the summer here and rode back with us after the wedding. 5 kids and the 4 1/2 hour trip home took closer to 9 hours. Here they are at one of our pit stops (the twins figured out that we stopped and let them out if they said they had to go potty).
Notice Sols cool shirt...I made it for him for Christmas and he loves it (I told him I would make him another for helping me with the boys this summer).
Finn would like to point out that he is holding up his pressed pennies he "made" at the factory.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go to the Tilamook factory! We used to go to Lincoln City every year when I was a kid, but we never made it. I'll have to put it on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your post title, I thought you had managed to MAKE Tilamook cheese and I was so jealous. I haven't had anything work yet. :-( The horseradish cheddar sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete