Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Glass Beach!

After reading an article in the Seattle times about beach glass a few weeks ago, I have wanted to go to Glass Beach. My friend Cindy has told me about it for years, but reading the article really set me in motion, and wouldn't you know it, the bridge was closed for 6 weeks and we couldn't go.

Alvin agreed that Sunday was a good day for it...not quite hot, but not rainy and no other plans. We set off at about 8am, and arrived at just after 9am. You have to go when the tide is out and get back to your car before it comes in or supposedly you can get trapped. Here we are, just in the beginning...it's about a 3-4 mile hike on all kinds of beach terrain and some of our kids did well, some didn't.

When you get there, the beach looks like this...blow up big and see if you can spot the glass.
Here's how you find it...get on your hands and knees and spread the "sand" around, looking under it.

As we walked, we came across a land slide, that slid after we walked past...and on return, we had to walk over the top.

Some of the treasures...orange, red, pink, purple are all pretty rare and the pieces we found were pretty small (compare to the marbles, which we also found...they are old and worn).
Finn sorting our finds...there's a lot, but some pieces are very small.

Directions to Glass Beach: Go to Port Townsend, to Fort Warden, but don't go in...drive on past...if you pass the cemetery, you went the right way. Keep going, staying to the right and there is a road on the right with a sign that says North Beach. At the end of the road is a parking lot, park there and go left on the beach. Go until you pass a few old rusty cars...axles and tires mostly and keep going. When you get the to sandy straight part, you;ll be where we were, but supposedly, you go to the 2 large boulders and that is where the good stuff is. Allow several hours.
If you take the kids, be prepared for whinning and you might not make it all the way there. But be prepared for glass on North Beach...you would still find treasures, just not as many colors. But if you are determind to go all the way, tell yourself (and stick to it) to hunt on the way back!

19 comments:

  1. Thanks!! Jenny and I had planned on making sea glass earrings. Now we know where to go! You are the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erika! That sounds like a fun beach and I love the soft edges of sea glass. But I just KNOW that I'll be the dope who forgets to hurry back to the car and gets stranded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you gave directions about how to get there, and how to search for the glass. I'm not very good at finding it; probably because I just walk along looking down and don't get on my hands and knees and actually search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, you'll find plenty with out getting on your knees. Brooke, I noticed that there was cell phone coverage all the way there, so if you do get trapped, you can call home and tell them you'll be late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what time do you suggest getting back to the car by?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really interested in going to this beach. i just have a few questions that I really hope you could answer for me. I am unsure about the driving directions to get there. could you email me directions if it's not too much trouble, like what roads to take?
    if so it'd be so appreciated. =)
    hanahsmithmorgan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Port Townsend right now - ARTFest at Fort Warden. Thanks for the directions. I'm so close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what time should you head back to your car so you do not get stuck. We will have children with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to check a tide book or tide table for Port Townsend. Best to head out while the tide is high, and just starting out so you have 6-7 hours to get out there, spend several hours searching and hike back. We set out one trip at low tide, and ended up climbing the cliff and wading on the way back to the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about going glass hunting in Feb or March? Would it be too cold and windy to enjoy it? dress warm and go for it? Advise please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks me and my family are going to dis covery bay soon (wich is near port townsend)and I was looking for beachcombing stuff on the internet. I didnt know much about sea glass but that my friend has a jar she collected fom the east coast on a vacation so I just tought that was the only place to find it little did i know i was very wrong. Im definetly going to persuad my mom to take me there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just got back! I'm so sore that I can hardly walk. We found lots of glass, and also some pottery pieces. My daughter found a rock that looks like an artifact, like it was a griding stone of some sort. At 68, and out of shape, it was a long hard walk. It was beautiful though. I probably won't go again, unless I'm in better condition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bummer, the secret is out. I started going there in 1997 and nobody was there and lots of glass. Now, it is not worth bending over for tiny pieces of clear glass. So many people on the beach these days too and they are coming in by boat. All good things come to an end. The hike is hard, but beautiful and worth that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, there really is no way to get there by car? We live there, newer transplants, and people always ask us where it is. We walk the dog at North Beach all the time, I know the roads there don't go far along coast line. So you really have to walk along shore for 3 miles? No other way? We heard it as a glass factory back in the day, so logic dictates there must have been a road.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, there really is no way to get there by car? We live there, newer transplants, and people always ask us where it is. We walk the dog at North Beach all the time, I know the roads there don't go far along coast line. So you really have to walk along shore for 3 miles? No other way? We heard it as a glass factory back in the day, so logic dictates there must have been a road.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, there really is no way to get there by car? We live there, newer transplants, and people always ask us where it is. We walk the dog at North Beach all the time, I know the roads there don't go far along coast line. So you really have to walk along shore for 3 miles? No other way? We heard it as a glass factory back in the day, so logic dictates there must have been a road.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, there really is no way to get there by car? We live there, newer transplants, and people always ask us where it is. We walk the dog at North Beach all the time, I know the roads there don't go far along coast line. So you really have to walk along shore for 3 miles? No other way? We heard it as a glass factory back in the day, so logic dictates there must have been a road.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are the worst directions I have ever read. The only thing I saw that your directions said was the cemetery. There was never a sign that said north beach. It's too bad this was the only site I found that even had directions. No help at all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous, you should be nice. These are fine directions and if you still couldn't manage to figure it out you could have asked any local person or done a simple Google search.

    I think Glass Beach hid it's self from you because of your awful attitude.



    ReplyDelete