Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Happiness is Homemade bread.

Okay, I know you are thinking that I have a bread obsession (especially if you are a facebook friend) and I think you might be right. I wasn't going to post anything today, because I am tired and have little to say, but then I saw Katie posted about MY bread recipe. You don't know how happy it made me to see that someone else like it.

Strangely enough, my mom asked me to bake her a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread to take with her on her girls weekend away tomorrow...this is to me like Sally Field winning the oscar...so stunned you can only think...wow, they really, really like it! And today, I needed to feel a little of that.

Heres another bread recipe...super easy and cheap and delish. I will take pictures of the tools I think it helps to have later (must start dinner). Compliments of my brother in law.


Jason’s NY Times (Mark Bittman’s) No-Knead Bread
(The Minimalist bread: Time does the work. Crusty bread that we like warm at dinner with a side of butter and honey)
Time: About 1/1/2 hrs plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ tsp instant yeast (or 1/4 cup sourdough starter, mix with water before adding this to flour)
1 ¼ tsp salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast, and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hrs, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 min.
Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hrs. When it’s ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8- quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, pyrex, or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is ok. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 min, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 min, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

5 comments:

  1. You should sell your bread at the next bazaar in June! I can't wait to try this recipe. I may need your help though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cinnamon swirl bread is to die for! :) We do like it, we really, really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dreamt about making bread last night so I think I will be tackling the sour dough bread today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made the bread and it looks great!!! You are the bread queen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last post was from me...and I forgot to mention I made it in the dutch oven you gave me and I only baked it covered for 35 minutes and then it was done! Perfect. Love you! Kate

    ReplyDelete