Saturday, February 21, 2009

Birthday Party Success

During the party, I wondered what I was thinking, but now that it is over, it wasn't too bad. Some moms offered to come help, but I told them they should enjoy an extra 3 hours in their day. One mom told me that she didn't know what to do with herself (I'm looking forward to that day).
I bought a bottle rocket kit online, and we decorated plastic water bottles (came in the kit) and used both water/air and vinegar/baking soda to launch them. The air used a special stopper with a ball needle in it to pump air into the bottles, getting Alvin a little wet. The kit also came with special stoppers that held baking soda and they launched when it hit the vinegar in the bottle.
Alvin then launched estes rockets with the kids in the cow pasture and it was the perfect day for it. We "lost" only one rocket (about 6-7 launches) and it is stuck in the tree right outside our back door--we'll get it back when the wind blows. There was no wind, it was sunny and I think Finn had a great time. Party favors in rockets I made.

Big shout out to the cake decorator in our local Safeway. I just told her that it was a 6 year old birthday and we wanted a rocket on it...This is what we brough home for only $10.

We served chicken nuggets, carrots, apples and grapes. The bowl in front of paxton was piled full of grapes (on sale for 88 cents a pound) and the kids ate just a few of them. Paxton has eaten the entire bowl of grapes. I took them away and when I wasn't looking this morning, he climbed up on the bar and over to the counter and started eating them again...guess we need not worry about scurvy.




3 comments:

  1. What a fun party! I love the cake, party favors, activity ideas...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you know how to throw a fun party. Love the cake! $10?? You scored!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I turn 40 next year, wanna plan my party? Really, your sons are so lucky to have you as their party planner/mom. Homemade Bottle Rockets and that cake? Good Job!

    ReplyDelete