Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bread


This year, many of you know, I started making my own bread. I did this for a few reasons: 1. I didn't like looking at the ingredients every time I bought bread, trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup. 2. It cost too much for a loaf of bread. 3. I love the smell of bread baking.
When I went away to school, I was introduced to fresh bread. The eatery at Ricks (if you remember what it was called..please tell me. It was on the bottom level of the main building, where we caught the grey bus to the top of the hill) you could buy a thick slice of fresh bread with honey butter for a small amount of money (don't remember what it was). I remember thinking it was probably comfort food for those with good mormon moms who made homemade bread, but we never had it growing up.
I asked Alvin to buy me a kitchenaid for my birthday this year, and since August, I have used it a lot, but only a handful of times to make something other than bread. I've experimented with just a few kinds, but found one I absolutely love: it works well for sandwiches, tastes great with just butter, is a perfect side for soup. It was also what I gave everyone for Christmas this year.
I have been asked for the recipe, so here it is. I'm telling you how I make it with the kitchenaid, not the directions in the book where I found it.

Rabbit Hill Inn Oatmeal Molasses Bread
from Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread, A Country Inn Cookbook by Crescent Dragonwagon.
2 cups boiling water
1 cup quick cook oatmeal
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
Put this in the mixer bowl and let sit for 30 minutes.
2 tablespoons active dry yeast (Recipe calls for 1 tablespoon, but for some reason I use 2)
1/2 cup room temp water
Mix together and let sit for 10 minutes
Add to oatmeal
1/2 cup molassas (recipe calls for blackstrap, but I use what I can find and I have used honey with good results)
2 teaspoons salt
yeast and water mixture.
Mix everything well together.
Add
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups white bread flour (maybe a little less)
and mix on slowest setting (I use the dough hook for everything). After everything is kind of together, switch to second to knead setting (#2) and set your timer for 8 minutes. Watch for a bit and if it isn't coming entirely together, assist manually or add more flour if it's too liquidy.
Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with dishtowel. Let sit until doubled, about 40 minutes if you use 2 T yeast. Cut in half and roll each half into a loaf and put in loaf pan and cover. Set timer for 30 minutes and when timer rings, turn oven onto 375 degrees. When oven is hot, put loaves in for 30 minutes. Turn out of pans right after they come out of the oven. (Makes 2 loaves...and I like those glass loaf pans)

If you are going to do this a lot, get a great bread knife.
I would like to make sourdough bread, because it is my all time favorite. The more sour, the better. I am searching for a starter locally, but if you have one, or know where to get one, please let me know.
I have attempted to fix spacing, but it isn't working...

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, my kids love your bread! Maybe one day I'll make it for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy, gotta wipe my chin! The building was the Manwaring Center, but the cafe/eaterie, I'm blank!
    Ohhhh you have me jonesin' for your bagels. Remember them? I do! I think I am gonna crack open my "not strictly vegetarian" cookbook. Mmmm vegee burgers too!!! Funny, I just posted my first adventure of the year with my "bread goal"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm going to try the bread recipe today (assuming we don't lose power).

    And I sure wish I had a cool name like "Crescent Dragonwagon." Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks a lot like the recipe Rhonda gave me, but yours is a much nicer, deep brown color...
    must be the molasses, I usually use honey. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely try it! Fresh bread IS the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika,

    I got this off Islandmoms...

    Did you know that you can purchase the starter from SweetLife Farm 206-842-6577 here on the island, I think they sell it for $6.50. Nancy is usually at the farmer's market selling her many products. I have their sourdough starter it makes really good bread.
    I'm a novice baker, so my loaves don't have a great "artisan" look (I'm really working on that) but the bread taste wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found starter and am Anxious to start making sour dough, but I feel like I need to read up on it a bit first. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally got a chance to try this bread...it doesn't look as gorgeous as yours, but it turned out pretty well for my first try. I was a little worried about kneading it for 8 mins, but it seems just fine. I didn't use bread flour, though, just regular white. Do you know if it makes much of a difference? I like the flavor. If there's any left after tonight's dinner, I'm interested in seeing how well it keeps.

    ReplyDelete