Thursday, December 4, 2008

I HEART beds

My post a few days ago talked about how nice it was to have some quiet time alone, but it wasn't meant to last. I'm going to tell you this, in hopes that you will see that I am trying to put a positive spin on the reality that is my life and you will understand why I always complain of being tired.

I started off the night here. Yes, those are crib sized mattresses, and the ottoman in the middle prevents kids from falling out of bed, but also provides a nice place for me to sleep. I put my head on Paxtons pillow and my feet go over the edge of the ottoman. I was there for about an hour trying to get the little ones to sleep.

Quincy woke up about 10pm and would not go back to sleep. Alvin thought he had a fever, so we medicated him and took him to bed with us at 11:30. He kicked me repeatedly and disturbed my sleep enough that at 3:30, I moved here.

I don't think I could routinely sleep in a bunk bed, but it was nice for a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. Pax woke up at 6am and I then moved here, while he watched tv until Quincy woke up at 6:30. I am short, but not that short, so once again, my legs hung over the edge unless I curled up. And since it is surrounded by windows, it gets light and I can't sleep.
Also, my kids snore (bet they get that from me). Paxton and Finn are light snorers, but Quincy sounds at times like a bear: he has one tonsil that takes up almost half his throat and I bet that is why. He is always tired, but won't nap for long times, and usually wakes early and I am beginning to wonder if I need to ask the doctor about sleep apnea. I took him in about the large tonsil and he told me that eventually it would have to be removed, but since we had no frequent illnesses and he had one that has small, it was best to wait and see what happens. I had my tonsils taken out when I was 22 and it was traumatic (woke up during surgery) and painful, so I am willing to do this to my kids while they are younger so they won't remember it as well, or hopefully it would be easier for them.
So back to the sleep issue...last night Paxtons diaper leaked at midnight and Quincy came to our bed at 5:30, but it was a much better night. I hope for more nights like last night and less nights where I sleep in many beds. But I am grateful I have an alternate place to sleep (or 3) when I get kicked out of mine.

3 comments:

  1. That makes me tired just reading it! Jake has a full-size bed and we have a king bed so, except for getting kicked and elbowed, whenever I end up laying down with Jake until he goes to sleep it isn't too bad. I feel for you! I'm finally caught up on your blog. Phew! You are a tiring woman! You need a break! Come to Utah and our boys can all go in the basement and play and we can try to pretend not to hear them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika,

    Both Taylor and Tanner had to get their tonsils out when they were two because they were so huge they would stop breathing at night. We went in at 6 and were home by 11 with both of them and neither one remembers it at all. If you can talk your dr into taking their tonsils out...I would do it in a heartbeat. :) Sorry you are always so tired....maybe one day when they all move out you can catch up on your sleep. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow girl! Sleep is too important as a mom. I can relate all too well. I'm glad that we seem to be through the crazy sleep issues with the older two boys, if only for the moment. Many nights we would find ourselves either sleeping with a butt cheek hanging off the side of the bed because there wasn't enough room, or I would sometimes sleep under everyones feet just so I wouldn't wake up with a raging back ache, which only worked a fraction of the time. Carter was pretty easy to get out, however Logan is my little love. He just wanted to snuggle, but I would find him caressing my face or my belly or my arm or my neck multiple time through the night. I think he was even asleep sometimes when he was doing it. I know it may sound cute, but I am not one to be messed with when I'm sleeping. And I definately need my sleep or I'm a grumpy momma. Anyway, it took a couple of weeks of sending him back to his bed anywhere from 3 to 10 times a night, with tears and everything, but we are finally through it. Now I just allow snuggle time in the morning when I'm not quite ready to get up. Jaxon on the other hand, is having a very hard time getting to sleep on his own. I had him going down before he was asleep to sooth himself to sleep, and he had no problems putting himself back to sleep during the night, with the occasional couple minutes of crying. However, my husband has not been following the same routine, thus creating a monster!!! He is refusing to be put down if he is not in DEEP sleep. Chris thinks that it's just easier to wait until he is totally asleep so there is no chance of his duties lasting any longer. (We swap turns with the kids) And on top of that, he has been getting up the minute he starts crying at night, picks him up and brings him to bed with us. I am a pretty heavy sleeper, so it takes me a couple of minutes usaully to register the crying, so I wasn't even aware until morning. So, we had the talk 2 nights ago, about what our new routine is going to be, and the battle has begun! Jaxon has become a very determined and vocal little boy. It took me an hour and a half to get him to sleep Wednesday night with a couple of crying fits during the night that took a good half hour each and an hour to get him down for his nap yesterday, and Chris "forgot" the rules last night when putting him to bed, while I was putting the older 2 down. I swear, I might just beat him if he does that one again. What I din't see, didn't happen, right? Well just know that you're not alone with bed time madness. And I didn't even go into what goes on before we tuck them in! I will cross my fingers for you if you do the same for me, ok?

    ReplyDelete