Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of School




Yesterday was Finn's first day of school. It was only 45 minutes and I was in the class with him, and he did pretty well. Today feels like "a first" because he went off on his own, on the school bus and will be gone for about 3 1/2 hours. The bus stop is a few driveways down (if you open the picture, you can see our mailbox just behind the bus, taken from the bus stop). and won't take us long to walk there every morning, but if there are no other kids getting on here, I will ask them to move the stop to our driveway. Today there was another mom and her 2nd grader, but they drove down their driveway and she told me that she usually drives her son to school. Because I was "preoccupied" talking to her, I didn't get as teary eyed as I thought I would...but I am now. Oh, there are 14 boys and 5 girls in Finn's class and did you see the scary bus driver?
Last night I was up until 1:30 CANNING. I thought about stopping earlier, but opted to finish the fruit I had left and get it DONE! I did a few pints of peaches and 8 pints of nectarines with ginger syrup (no, I have never had canned nectarines either). The night before last I made a double recipe of the peach butter blair suggested (I made it in the crock pot and let it cook for close to 24 hours) and I got it canned last night. It's pretty good, but has a bit too much cinnamon for me. Needless to say I am pleased that I "put up" about 50 -60 pounds of fruit while being a single mom.
Update on Alvin: He says he should be home next Thursday. He thinks he is going to hire a roofing company and I am all for this idea. If he had to do the roof, it would take him at least another week and a half and we really just want him home. He's already missed my birthday, our anniversary, labor day, finn's first day of school, two sets of two year old molars and if he is any later, he will miss my high school reunion (he'd like that) and our boys birthdays.

2 comments:

  1. OH! What a big boy! I can't believe he's old enough to go to school already! I bet he is loving it though!

    ReplyDelete